Who we are & What we do at TVLA
Who We are:
Tanzania Veterinary Laboratory Agency (TVLA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries (MLF), that was established under the Executive Agency Act Cap 245 (Revised Edition; R.E 2009), gazetted on GN number 74 of 9th march 2012 supplement Number 8 and instated by the Chief Permanent Secretary on 11th July, 2012.The Agency was established to work and meet the following objectives:-
- Developing and marketing appropriate technological packages and biologicals.
- Institutionalizing the Management systems.
- Undertaking and strengthening surveillance and diagnostic services.
- Improving infrastructures and facilities.
- Strengthen Financial and Human Resource management systems
- Strengthen institutional arrangement.
- Addressing crosscutting issues
What We do:
The major role of TVLA is to implement the objective of establishing the veterinary laboratory system as outlined in the national livestock policy (2006). The roles and functions are to:-
- To undertake diagnosis and investigation of animal diseases and vectors.
- To develop and produce vaccines and other biologicals.
- To test and evaluate biologicals, ethno-veterinary and laboratory chemicals.
- To analyse safety of animal feed stuff;
- To validate tests and standards for animal disease and laboratory diagnosis
- To provide referral veterinary laboratory services and vector and vector borne diseases for Tanzania and SADC region for specified diseases.
- To establish and maintain data base on animal diseases and vectors.
- To develop and upscale technological packages.
- To regulate veterinary laboratories.
- To validate veterinary pesticides.
- To validate veterinary cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and devices.